Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Classic Album Time from this Guy




This is the album about which Cameron Crowe-penned Elaine Miller states matter-of-factly, "Yes it's poetry. It's poetry of drugs and promiscuous sex. Honey-" Then she points to their eyes on the album cover: "-they're on pot."

And indeed, it's very likely they were. I'm not sure how much love Simon and Garfunkel get from our little online crew here. Either way, this is arguably their masterpiece, although some might argue for their final album, 1970's Bridge Over Troubled Water, the fact that this came out in the all-important year 1968 should probably push it over the top.

All these tracks are standouts. Listen to the title track, "Fakin' It," and the frighteningly accusatory, "You Don't Know Where Your Interest Lies." Garfunkel would go on to star in Mike Nichols, Carnal Knowledge, but would never do much more together other than play Central Park. Garfunkel did co-write "Voices of Old People" but in case you were wondering, that track's fairly, shall we say, conceptual.

Is anyone enjoying these classic albums? If not, I'll just stop. If nobody responds, I'll take that to assume you hate me. But I still won't stop... ("I thought I told you that we won't stop...")

No comments: