Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Johnny Osbourne - Truths and Rights

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I always feel a strange draw to reggae in the winter. After stumbling onto this album via my Toots and the Maytals Pandora station, I've been totally addicted to it for a few weeks now (I hope the dude who invented Pandora is swimming in a pool of cash Scrooge McDuck style, its the best thing on the internet ever). As I later discovered, Truths & Rights is considered by many to be the best reggae album ever made. It's not as polished as Bob, and vocally and lyrically closer to 70's R&B than anything Jamaican. Songs like "We Need Love" and "Jah Promise" are just pure ragged soul, and makes me feel like I'm in a hammock somewhere on a beach outside of Kingston, listening to Johnny and his band off in the distance. It's a pretty pleasant thought when you're freezing your ass off. Also, this album is thought to be the birth of dancehall, so if you were wondering who to thank for Shaggy, Johnny's your man.







Johnny Osbourne - Truth & Rights

No comments: