Monday, January 11, 2010

What were you doing 10 years ago?

In the year 2000, people were just getting over the whole Y2K thing, Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP changed the rap world, and Ridley Scott's 'Gladiator' was the best thing EVER.

But there was something else that happened in in that year that I'm guessing Banger's readers will remember as clearly as I do.... I was sitting in study hall during first period (it was perfect - I never had to be in school on time), and this kid introduced me to a hip hop duo called Reflection Eternal. The classic horns of 'Move Somethin', the collabo with Mos on 'This Means You', and the Lennox Lewis soundbite on 'Down For the Count' all separately changed the way I listened to music (especially in my car).

Well, fast forward to 2010. It's been a decade, and we're finally getting the sequel: 'Revolutions Per Minute'. It hasn't been released yet (due out in Februar/March), but they have dropped a mixtape called The RE:union. It's got 30 tracks, including tons of new stuff, unreleased joints, and re-released 'Train of Thought' jams make for a beautiful mixtape to keep you warm this winter.

I'm obviously biased, BUT, the best track is definitely Just Begun. Talib, Jay Electronica, J. Cole, & Mos Def (in that order) come in and terrorize this amazing beat.



Treat yourselves...

No comments: